Location: Arcadia, Florida
Type: Full Time
Salary: $66,547.36 - $103,148.41
Years of Experience:
5 - 10
Responsible for work in construction and maintenance of landfill facilities, the use and maintenance of heavy equipment and recycling operations according to County policy and regulatory agency rules.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, coordinates, assigns, and supervises employees in landfill, delegate authority to subordinates and sees that work is completed in accordance with established procedures and schedules.
- Maintains records of work performed and prepares reports as necessary.
- Receives complaints and requests from public and responds in keeping with established policies.
- Follows construction plans.
- Arranges for materials and equipment necessary for construction projects and assigns specific duties.
- Uses good judgment on methods and manner of construction when necessary on minor matters.
- Makes inspections of construction as required.
- Coordinates and supervises operation of landfill equipment.
- Makes general and detailed assignments of work to equipment operators, clerical personnel, and reviews work performed as necessary.
- May be required to perform work of equipment operator as needed.
Ensures proper operation and maintenance of mechanical equipment with emphasis on minor preventive maintenance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws, statutes and codes.
- Extensive knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to plan, direct, and supervise the work of equipment operators, skilled and unskilled
laborers, and clerical personnel.
- Ability to comprehend and implement operational rules of the Department of Environmental
Protection, The Southwest Florida Water Management District, and other regulatory
agencies as may apply.
- Knowledge of standard practices used in earthwork and in construction. Ability to operate
heavy equipment as needed.
- Ability to present programs and to make written and oral reports
- Ability to tactfully and effectively deal with the public, county employees and officials.
- Ability to perform work occasionally under adverse weather conditions.
Employee must have acceptable eyesight, hearing and the ability to communicate both orally and in writing and be able to drive.
Work is primarily performed in an inside and outside work environment.
THIS IS A DISASTER ESSENTIAL POSITION.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Manager of Landfill Operations (MoLO) certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
Connections working at DeSoto County BOCC
About DeSoto County BOCC
The DeSoto County Board of County Commissioners is the legislative and policy-making body of the county government. DeSoto County Boad of County Commissioners consists of 180 employees that service the citizens of DeSoto County. We pride ourselves on the 3 P’s – Prompt, Polite and Professional. The DeSoto County Board of Commissioners is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits program to ensure they stay healthy and feel secure. DeSoto County is a Florida Retirement Participant. Benefits offered at no cost to the employee include medical, basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. Optional benefits offered are dependent medical, dental, vision, voluntary life insurance and a plethora of others.
As an employer, DeSoto County will not permit discrimination because of race, color, handicap, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, genetics, marital status, or political affiliation. We make every effort to employ individuals who are best qualified. Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes.
The DeSoto County Board of County Commissio...ners is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a Drug-free Workplace environment. All applicants who are selected for employment must submit to substance testing.