Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Type: Part Time
4 Year Degree
The project specialist coordinates a variety of activities that serve the international geochemistry community. The position requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and enthusiasm for working cooperatively with a diverse membership.
- Program committees
- Executive director
- Society members
- External service providers
- Communicate with members who submit nominations for awards.
- Coordinate meetings for several award selection committees.
- Maintain high standard of accuracy and confidentiality.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Programs
- Assist volunteers with development of events on DEI topics.
- Support committee chair in developing meeting agendas and keeping committee work on track.
- Prepare reports of dues payments and conference registration fees.
- Periodically enter information into accounting system (QuickBooks).
- Assist with planning of various meetings and programs that take place during annual conference.
- Schedule meetings for planning committees.
- Track volunteer activity and send reminders for outstanding tasks.
- A proactive and engaging approach to building relationships with volunteers and eliciting their ideas and support for society programs.
- A supportive mentality to work closely with team members to achieve the mission of the society.
- Ability to learn and effectively use a variety of software tools, including conference management software, customer relationship management systems, and Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact in a culturally sensitive manner with a widely diverse professional membership audience, colleagues, service providers, and other organizations.
- Professional demeanor and commitment to sound business ethics and high level of integrity.
- Adaptability and willingness to do things in new ways.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; candidates with advanced degrees welcomed.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a professional office environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel required; experience with Intuit QuickBooks preferred.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
Applicants with a background in Earth science are encouraged to apply. While initially a part-time opportunity, the position may grow to full time in the future with additional responsibilities related to the society’s publishing and conference activities.
Staff work in a hybrid environment in the society's Alexandria, Virginia office and remotely. The preferred arrangement for this position involves regular work in the office.
To be considered, please submit a résumé/CV and a cover letter using the "Apply Now" button. For questions only, contact email@example.com.
Connections working at The Geochemical Society
About The Geochemical Society
The Geochemical Society is a nonprofit scientific society founded to encourage the application of geochemistry to improving our understanding of the Earth and solar system. Membership is international and diverse in background, encompassing such fields as organic geochemistry, high and low-temperature geochemistry, petrology, meteoritics, fluid-rock interaction, and isotope geochemistry.