Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Type: Full Time
Years of Experience:
5 - 10
Telecommuting is allowed.
Internal Number: 2023-12478
Manager, Waste Collections
Public Works – Waste Management
Regular Full Time
Salary Range: $118,003 to $147,504 per annum plus comprehensive benefits
Work mode: Hybrid* see below for more details about this work mode.
Location: 7795 Torbram Road, Brampton ON
Hours of work:?35 Hours per week
Reports to: Director, Waste Operations
Team Structure: Manages a team of 2 Supervisors, 1 Advisor, 1 Coordinator and 1 Assistant Technical, who oversee a team of 25-30 Waste Bylaw Enforcement Officers, Curbside Customer Service Representatives and other frontline staff.
Who We Are: The Waste Management Division leads the second largest waste management program in Ontario. It provides cost-effective, efficient, environmentally responsible waste management services to 1.5 million residents throughout Peel, with a Council mandate to reach 75 percent waste diversion by 2034 through its Roadmap to a Circular Economy long-term plan. Waste collection services are provided by contracted service providers managed by internal staff.
What you will do in this role:
- Delivers the Region’s waste collection services, which include the collection of garbage, blue box recyclable materials, green bin organics, leaf and yard waste and batteries from residential households, municipal facilities, schools, and special events.
- Oversees enforcement of the Region’s waste collection by-law, management of the Region’s waste collection container inventory, development and management of the waste collection budget, procurement and oversight of waste collection contractors, supervision of waste collection staff, coordination with local municipalities.
- Supports the development and implementation of new waste collection programs and public facing promotion, education, and outreach programs to ensure clients’ proper participation in the Region’s waste programs, all in accordance with Regional and Provincial regulations, standards, policies, guidelines, strategies, and operational plans.
- Leads and and directs a team of waste collection staff in delivering waste collection services to clients while promoting a service-oriented and environmental, health and safety compliant culture within the section.
- Hires and manages reporting staff within the section by interviewing, selecting, orienting, coaching, developing, performance managing and, if necessary, terminating reporting staff. Assigns and manages the performance objectives of direct reports. Supports diversity and inclusion within the Waste Collection section.
- Organizes and delegates sectional programs and services according to planned targets, policies and priorities, and co-ordinates all workforce, equipment, and resources to meet targets and deliverables.
- Provides expert recommendations and resolves escalated operational issues and service level concerns, service requirements and customer complaints related to the provision of waste collection services, by-law enforcement and participation in the Region’s waste management programs.
- Manages internal/external partnership and stakeholder relations to promote business excellence in waste collection operations with respect to health and safety, business intelligence, strategic planning, emergency and business continuity planning and staff development.
- Develops policies, procedures and objectives in Waste Collection Operations related to maintenance, safety, training, system planning, performance, and process improvement.
- Oversees the procurement and performance management of contracted vendors. Negotiates complex special arrangements and agreements with service vendors.
- Researches and analyzes operational performance and develop operational strategies for future growth, approving operational strategies for new waste collection services
- Responsible for an average annual operating budget of $50 million. Develops, and forecasts annual operating and capital budgets for waste collection operations and inventory of waste collection supplies and materials.
- Prepares and implements contingency plans for service disruptions due to strikes, supply chain issues, pandemics, and other major disruptions.
- Responds to and resolves issues and queries raised by Council and sensitive customer inquiries escalated from reporting staff.
- Represents Waste Management’s Waste Collection Operations on related internal, community and government committees.
- Analyzes community, industry, technical and demographic trends and recommends/implements programs and tactics based on findings.
- Ensures that processes, systems, and resources are optimized to continuously improve productivity, cost effectiveness and service quality.
- Ensures Waste Collection Operations and performance of contracted waste collection service providers adheres to Provincial Acts and regulations, municipal by-laws and policies and regional policies and procedures.
What the role requires:
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience supporting the delivery of waste management or similar programs in a municipal setting
- 5 years of demonstrated leadership experience in a senior leadership role. A combination of education and applied experience will be considered.
- A relevant university degree is considered as a strong asset.
- A solid understanding of performance measurement and an ability to evaluate trends to provide recommended process improvement changes to enhance operational efficiencies and resource utilization.
- Experience building employee culture and engagement, leading change, and setting long-term vision for large and diverse teams in a senior leadership role.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including consulting, negotiation, conflict resolution and leadership agility.
- Purchasing and signing authority required to release/order products and authorize payments.
- Demonstrated understanding of performance measurement and an ability to evaluate trends to provide recommended process improvement changes to enhance operational efficiencies.
- Demonstrated administrative and financial skills, including previous experience with budget management.
- Strong critical/analytical decision making and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to build evidence-based decisions that link to divisional objectives and priorities, moving seamlessly between operational strategy and tactical execution.
- Experience resolving complex issues including major service disruptions, implementing large-scale contingency plans, and managing expectations of all stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex, multi-phase projects across a wide range of programs and services.
- Demonstrated abilities in performance management to influence directly and indirectly, a team of professional, technical, administrative, and front-line staff.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills to establish and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong presentation and written communication skills including an ability to effectively convey complex issues and concepts at various levels within the organization by exercising tact, diplomacy, and business acumen to identify and respond appropriately to varying situations.
- Written and oral communication/interpersonal skills to present information in a logical/organized manner for written reports or meeting presentations, liaise with vendors and internal/external stakeholders and staff.
- Computer skills to access and manipulate information on a computer network. Must be proficient in MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Organizational skills to prioritize and assign work and multitask within a variety of disciplines.
Perks @ Peel and why you will love working for us:
-Comprehensive Health, Dental, Vision benefit plan
-Automatic enrolment into OMERS pension plan (where applicable)
- Accrue Vacation on a monthly basis
- 3 Paid personal days and floating holidays
-Flexible hours supporting your wellness and wellbeing
-Annual performance review and merit increases based on performance
-Supportive leadership and a culture of respect and inclusion
-Access to tuition reimbursement and learning and development resources
*Work Mode: In this role you will have the ability to work remotely and attend on-site when required based on operational requirements at 7795 Torbram Road, Brampton, ON
The frequency of on-site activities may vary on a weekly basis and based on operational requirements. Your remote work location must be located within the province of Ontario.
The Region of Peel offers job based flexible hours of work that allows employees to manage personal and professional responsibilities while at the same time ensures business operational needs and customer service expectations are achieved.?
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced Covid-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g., masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated is determined as the status of having received the full series of approved vaccines (both doses of a two dose vaccine series, one dose of a single dose vaccine series) and any additional doses required and approved by Health Canada and having satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy. The Region of Peel reserves the right to request proof of vaccination at any time. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you are not fully vaccinated, a documented medical reason provided by a physician or registered nurse and time period for the medical reason may be accepted.