This is a management position with direct responsibilities for environmental management, regulatory enforcement and compliance management. Promotes environmental awareness through education and citizen interaction, as well as, providing technical and managerial guidance to the Baldwin County Commission.
This position requires driving as an essential function of the position. For Baldwin County driving requirements, please see the following link: Driver Qualifications. Successful applicants must be at least 20 years old, insurable by the County's insurance carrier, pass a criminal and motor vehicle background check and will be subject to a pre-employment drug test and physical.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/baldwincountyal
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Supervise the daily work routines of Eastfork Landfill, MacBride Landfill, and Magnolia Landfill.
2. Assist Department Administration with scheduling construction of new disposal units and closure of existing disposal units.
3. Inspect all sites and coordinates with engineers and contractors to ensure that new work complies with Federal, State, and Local regulations, codes and permits.
4. Assist and provide Department Administration and other Division Managers with both technical assistance and direction in all responsible areas.
5. Monitor and maintain constructed wetlands, storm water and aeration ponds, leachate pumping systems, and methane gas recovery and processing systems.
6. Develop and maintain training programs for subordinate staff.
Planning and Coordination
1. Review, analyze and suggest improvements to Department Administration related to operational efficiencies.
2. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations to prepare operational and procedure directions.
3. Provides technical assistance and guidance for all areas of environmental management for the citizens of Baldwin County.
1. Complete training and continuing education as necessary to achieve and maintain Operator Certifications required by Federal, State, and Local regulations.
2. Coordinate Subordinate Staff to achieve and maintain Operator Certifications required by Federal, State, and Local regulations.
3. Strive to continually improve the good relations with citizens of Baldwin County.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Skills to direct and supervise subordinates and deal with the public in conflict resolution as necessary.
2. Writing and oratorical skills necessary to make reports to the County Commission, County Administrator and the Public.
3. Knowledge of applicable occupational safety, health, regulatory requirements, codes and permits.
4. Planning and scheduling skills to provide guidance to contractors and other professionals.
5. Ability to conduct meetings over large and small groups.
1. Must work non-regular hours when necessary.
2. Willingness to attend meetings and other work activities after normal working hours.
1. Bachelor's degree in engineering, environmental science, or a closely related field.
2. Five (5) years of experience in supervision and management of others, including budget responsibilities.
3. Three (3) years of experience in environmental or related field.
4. Valid driver's license
5. A combination of education and pertinent experience may be considered as a substitute for requirements.
1. Professional Engineer License (PE)
2. Class "B" or higher commercial driver's license
3. Alabama Landfill Operator's Certification
4. SWANA Manager of Landfill Operations Certification (MOLO)