- Leads, plans, participates in and reviews the work of staff responsible for wastewater treatment operations including regulating and calculating flow, monitoring chemical additions, maintaining state regulated effluent quality and implementing Environmental Protection Agency testing policies and procedures.
- Trains assigned employees in wastewater treatment methods and techniques and in the set up and use of equipment. Ensures that employees adhere to safe work practices and procedures.
- Verifies the work of assigned employees for accuracy, proper work methods and techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications. Troubleshoots and resolves various issues as needed. Establishes work schedules and work assignments as needed.
- Assists with process control of biological treatment processes. Duties may include; monitoring, reporting, training, calculation of loadings and feed rates, interpreting data, revising wasting rates, responding to and resolving abnormal situations, overseeing biological process control testing program.
- Oversees and participates in the operations of the Supervisor Control and Data Acquisition system (SCADA); troubleshoots and resolves treatment issues; ensure proper treatment to meet all operational goals and NPDES permit compliance.
- Responsible for overseeing the operation of wastewater treatment plant processes and equipment through all levels of the treatment process.
- Oversees and participates in the solids treatment process to ensure efficient operation of equipment and chemical utilization. Responsible for quality control necessary to maintain operational requirements.
- Responds to problems found by staff during inspections, investigates and troubleshoots issues to resolution. Reports any abnormal situations or potential failures to supervisors or higher level staff; initiates and reviews work orders in a computerized maintenance management system for problems found; stops and starts equipment as required for operation and maintenance repairs; trains staff on the applicable lock out/tag out and specific energy control procedures.
- Trains staff to comply with digester gas system requirements, follows all guidelines and procedures related to digester gas generation, conveyance and gas handling equipment. Adheres to all safety requirements, attends required training and understands methane biogas hazards. Responsible for placing equipment and processes out of service in a safe manner using techniques to purge lines and reduce or eliminate methane production. Responsible for the startup of equipment and processes to meet operational goals.
- Oversees the sampling of wastewater, reuse water, scum, grit, sludge and other materials and ensures accurate chain of custody information is delivered to the laboratory; trains staff on proper sampling techniques and methods; analyzes samples for process control testing to determine efficiency of treatment processes; reviews results and makes recommendations.
- Use laboratory and operational testing results to determine and implement process changes and document required information. Trains staff on process control strategies and techniques; stays abreast to current wastewater treatment industry trends and technologies.
- Directs deliveries of bulk chemicals from vendors, trains staff and participates in the correct procedures for receiving and sampling; ensures all acceptable safety protocols and procedures are followed; trains staff in the appropriate use of personal protective equipment. Tracks chemical deliveries and usage; performs routine inventories and places orders for any chemicals needed.
- Reviews records, log books, and information regarding changes to plant operation, chemical dosing, process control testing, maintenance work performed and unusual operating conditions; reviews laboratory and daily operational shift briefing reports.
- Responds to odor complaints, investigates wastewater treatment facilities to locate sources and provides action to reduce or isolate odors. Reports resolution or problems found to higher level staff.
- Assists in training of staff performing confined space entry; may participate with the confined space entry team; effectively operate and calibrate gas detectors, set up and operate various confined space entry equipment; ensures all related safety procedures and related documentation are followed.
- Drafts, reviews and revises standard operating procedures (SOP) related to plant operations and safety. May train staff utilizing SOPs on proper procedures including; emergency response, non-normal bypass situations and outage recovery.
- Participates and represents operations staff in Capital Improvement Project meetings. May be required to review and comment on documents, drawings, SCADA screens or other related materials.
- Supervises use of and operates equipment, including: golf carts, forklifts, aerial lifts, trash pumps, sump pumps, generators and other equipment as needed.
- Drives vehicles to other city facilities to perform inspections; may transport goods, materials, tools or equipment as required.
Detailed Job Posting - NEOGOV Insight
- Conducts tours of the facility and operations; explains the wastewater treatment liquid and solids process.
- Assists with general facility housekeeping and maintaining a neat and orderly work area.
- Participates in maintaining the security of wastewater treatment facilities by ensuring all gates, doors and locks are secure, and observing and reporting any breaches in the perimeter fencing.
- Maintains operational spreadsheets and reports. Replenishes supplies as needed.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
|KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: |
Operations, services and activities of a wastewater treatment program.
Principles and regulations of treatment and distribution of reuse water.
Chemical processes involved in wastewater treatment.
Principles of lead supervision and training.
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system operation and automated control of equipment and processes.
Principles of hydraulics.
Pump capabilities to regulate water flow.
Chemical formulas and testing techniques.
Intermediate mathematical calculations.
Chemical and chemical feeders.
Basic methods and techniques of, and tools used in, pump operation.
Word processing, spreadsheet and database applications at an intermediate level.
Advanced methods and techniques of pump regulation.
Advanced operational characteristics of pump equipment.
Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
Independently performing the most difficult wastewater treatment operations.
Reading and writing English at a level necessary for successful performance of the essential functions.
Preparing clear and concise reports and other documentation.
Interpreting, explaining and enforcing department policies and procedures.
Operating a variety of pumping equipment in a safe and effective manner.
Recognizing improper pump operation through visual or auditory inspection.
Performing minor repair of water control and pumping equipment.
Calculating chemical needs of wastewater based on analysis results.
Working independently in the absence of supervision.
Understanding and following oral and written instructions.
Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Core Workforce Competencies
Professionalism – Demonstrates core values by being honest, respectful and positive.
Effective Communication – Expresses verbal and written thought in a clear and understandable manner.
Customer Focus – Demonstrates genuine concern and satisfies external and/or internal customers based on the CLV core purpose and values.
Adaptability – Able to effectively modify behavior to suit changing workforce demands.
Problem Solving – Solves problems by considering all causes, solutions and outcomes.
Productive Partnerships – Develops, maintains and strengthens partnerships with others.
Technical and Safety Expertise – Possesses a depth of knowledge, skill and ability in a technical (job) area