Are you a high-performing, strategic thinker, who is skilled at planning and organizing solid waste and recycling collection routes and landfill/transfer activities? Does your work experience include providing assistance in determining and implementing work schedules and routes? If so, this may be the job you are looking for.
The City of Tacoma is recruiting for the position of Solid Waste Route Supervisor in our Environmental Services Department. We are seeking experienced candidates with exceptional customer service skills and who have a proven success record in supervising and evaluating the work of assigned personnel.
The Principles that Guide Us:
Tacoma, the City of Destiny, has a workforce of dedicated, talented employees with unique skills and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement. The Principles that Guide Us, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Equity, speak to the values that we embody as City of Tacoma employees, and represent the core of our work in public service.
The Solid Waste Route Supervisor is a union-represented position; the scope of work includes but is not limited to the following essential duties:
- Assist the Solid Waste Collection Supervisor in daily operations of solid waste collection; provide assistance with planning, organizing, scheduling and monitoring solid waste collection; recycle activities or drivers assigned to solid waste long-haul transfer operations.
- Oversee solid waste collection and recycling routes to assure efficient use of personnel and equipment.
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints; contact and provide information to customers, owners and managers of local businesses regarding appropriate waste collection, disposal services, and recycling practices and procedures.
- Develop and implement work schedules to assure efficient service.
- Develop and oversee routes to be driven by solid waste collection and transfer personnel to assure efficient service.
- Recommend and coordinate solid waste and recycling pickup methods and locations in conjunction with new construction or neighborhood developments.
- Coordinate with drivers to ensure that scheduled repairs and maintenance of assigned equipment is completed.
- Recommend service rate adjustments and determine service requirements.
- Supervise and evaluate the work of assigned personnel; recommend reassignments, disciplinary actions as appropriate; assign and review the work of others.
- Facilitate the training of assigned personnel to operate equipment safely and efficiently; recommend special training as needed; issue clothing and equipment as required.
- Conduct audits and surveys to determine most efficient collection methods, routes and equipment.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Office and outdoor environment; subject to driving from site to site to monitor work and resolve complaints.
- Lifting up to 30lbs.
- Exposure to toxic and caustic chemicals.
- Exposure to loud noise.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.