Pierce County Planning and Public Works is seeking a well qualified individual to fill our vacant Wastewater Operations Manager position, at the Chambers Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant in University Place, Washington.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is responsible supervisory, administrative, technical and managerial work involving the Pierce County Wastewater Treatment Facility, biosolids management, fertilizer manufacturing plant, and reclaimed water. An individual in this position must possess a variety of critical skills necessary to direct daily plant operations to include budget, technical applications of all treatment processes, personnel management, training and budget development and control.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION ARE
- Responsible for Wastewater Treatment, Biosolids Fertilization Manufacturing, and reclaimed water facilities, to include being legally responsible under Washington Administrative Code for operation of the Wastewater Treatment Facility in compliance with State National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit and Industrial Pretreatment Program.
- Evaluate wastewater process trends and discuss findings with subordinate supervisors; set process control parameters to ensure treatment of effluent meets N.P.D.E.S permit requirements based on a determined level of service.
- Conduct short and medium range planning to deal with budget requirements and expenditures requiring technical knowledge and forecasting techniques based on regulatory developments, environmental issues, trends and current/future methods of treating wastewater.
- Work with subordinate supervisors to develop monitoring tools and procedures to ensure the effective evaluation and use of power, chemicals, time and materials in the treatment process.
- Manage the development and implementation of plans of staff work schedules to ensure appropriate shift coverage and the optimal usage of labor resources.
- Work with other managers to evaluate the wastewater treatment plant safety training program, plant Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), and equipment maintenance procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and safety, and efficient plant operations.
- Work with and direct the Operations, Laboratory, Supervisors and staff to coordinate operations, maintenance, and monitoring needs and services for efficient plant operations.
- Direct the Laboratory Supervisor in the development and implementation of industrial pretreatment criteria necessary to promote effective treatment plant operations.
- Participate in the coordinating efforts of collection system maintenance and wastewater treatment to identify illegal dumping activities.
- Review plant biosolids management and hauling programs to ensure compliance with output and equipment capability; direct plant processing adjustments where necessary.
- Direct and monitor the Biosolids management and Fertilizer Manufacturing Plant processes and make recommendations and changes to comply with NPDES requirements.
- Work within a collaborative environment with other management team members to confer and work with regulatory agencies in the formulation and acceptance of NPDES permit requirements and biosolids regulations.