Under the direct supervision of the Operations Supervisor or other assigned supervisor, the Facility Operator is responsible for the daily operation and preventative maintenance of the Wastewater Treatment Facility and solids handling process and equipment. He/She also performs process control functions, preventative maintenance, and cleaning and minor or routine corrective maintenance tasks.
On evening, night, and Holiday shifts, the Wastewater treatment Facility Operator is responsible of facility operations, facility security, receiving and coordination of public complaints and use of the call-out system. He/She is aware of and follows emergency and safety policies and procedures. Incumbent coordinates and cooperates with the public and other Utility and City departments. Position is subject to overtime, shift work and call back procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Operates and maintains the wastewater treatment facility and solids handling processes and equipment, including: preliminary equipment, pumps, aeration blowers, clarifiers, chemical feeders, boilers/heat exchangers, digestion equipment and dewatering equipment.
- Performs process control tests. Samples wastewater and sludge streams for laboratory analysis. Monitors charts, graphs, totalizers, indicators and records, analyzers, and reports date collected. Logs daily activity and significant events in facility log book.
- Troubleshoots process and equipment problems. Records and communicates significant process and equipment problems to assure corrective action.
- Performs preventative and light corrective maintenance duties such as cleaning, painting, grounds maintenance and snow removal.
- Responsible to observe and report on facility security and safety, equipment condition and facility cleanliness and correct problems, if possible.
- Cooperates and coordinates with supervisory, maintenance and laboratory personnel on a daily basis.
- Participates in general City, safety, and wastewater industry training.
- Performs other related duties as required, including cooperative joint efforts with other departments.