Sr. Health & Safety Specialist
Strong Construction Safety knowledge base required for evaluation of 3rd party Contractor pre – qualification (relating to health and safety history), project specific health and safety plan submittals, and on-site contractor evaluations.
Previous experience with the successful implementation of a safety management system at an industrial site.
Previous experience implementing a Medical Surveillance Program based on OSHA requirements (e.g. Hearing Conservation, Respiratory Protection, Lead, etc.)
Strong Computer Skills in the area of safety and health databases and safety management system software.
Professional Certification highly desirable e.g. Certified Industrial Hygienist (“CIH”) and/or Certified Safety Professional (“CSP”) and/or Certified Utilities Safety Professional (CUSP).
The Health & Safety Specialist provides support to site health & safety representatives and corporate staff of all Business Units as needed in areas of occupational health & safety compliance and best practices. Position is essential for achieving &/or maintaining NYPA’s compliance with applicable statutory, regulatory and other standards (e.g., NYS PESH, NYS Dept. of Health), and for efforts to ensure employees are protected from recognized hazards.
- Expert knowledge of applicable health & safety regulations (e.g. (OSHA/PESH)) standards, guidelines, etc. and their applicability to NYPA’s goals.
- Responsible for oversight and implementation of NYPA White Plains Office health and safety program
- Maintain NYPA wide OSHA/PESH injury statistics
- Provide oversight of NYPA’s Occupational Health Program and contracted occupational health medical provider
- Review and interpret polices & procedures, regulations, standards & guidelines for dissemination to appropriate corporate and site personnel.
- Provide interpretation and guidance of third-party submittals (i.e., review documents/specifications submitted by other departments for planned &/or ongoing work). Especially in the area of Construction Safety-reviewing of Contractor Health and Safety Plans and implementation of Contractor Safety Program and Contractor Evaluation
- Interact within established communication protocols/hierarchies.
- Develop strategies for achieving/maintaining compliance with applicable regulations, statutes, and standards.
- Maintain files/reports/etc. related to position duties in accordance with NYPA protocol.
- Interact and participate with outside organizations, including industry working groups (e.g. Electric Power Research Institute, American Public Power Association) and regulatory agencies (PESH).
- Required Skills
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines concerning health & safety;
- Thorough understanding of OSHA/PESH Injury & Illness Recordkeeping and Reporting requirements,
- Thorough understanding of Workers’ Compensation Law, and return-to-work policy
- Thorough understanding of OSHA Occupational Health Medical Surveillance programs
- Demonstrated specialized knowledge of and experience with, workplace hazards (utility-specific hazards/construction safety) as related to employee health and safety.
- Strong verbal and writing skills are essential for communication with various levels within corporate and site hierarchies.
- Ability to work on multiple projects/efforts concurrently is essential.
- Ability to develop and present business case(s) for program initiatives.
- Strong planning skills, and ability to develop and implement work plans that meet corporate and site goals, achieve objectives on schedule.
- Ability to manage contractual matters and consultant work efforts.
- Ability to write concise analyses of alternatives, present the results of deliberation in a concise fashion, and develop consensus within a group of varying disciplines.
- Strong computer skills; e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (additional software programs will also be utilized). Strong Computer Skills in the area of Safety and Health databases and safety management software.
- Ability to collaborate with other NYPA business units involving issues related to health & safety.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of industrial hygiene principles of engineering controls, administrative controls and advances in personal protective equipment.
- A general/thorough understanding of electric generation and transmission industry is desired.