Post Date: 01/27/2017
Close Date: 02/09/2017
Hay Point Evaluation: 531
Salary Range: Minimum: $ 69,931.00 /Midpoint: $ 87,413.50
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Location: Jamaica, Queens
Reports To: Director - Occupational Safety Projects
Union Affiliation: Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen Local 241
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law and the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
The position will perform both office and field hazard control services, which will include the design and preparation of reports, scopes of work, and other documentation and submissions. The position will maintain a level of knowledge of the abatement and remediation industry and all applicable regulations. The position shall perform compliance inspections at railroad facilities and oversight of consultants and contractors engaged in mitigation and elimination of hazards and the performance of related work on railroad property.
This position will also be responsible for responding to hazard emergencies to act as the interface and liaison between regulatory agencies and the LIRR's Corporate Safety Department, consultants, contractors, user departments and other involved parties. This position, through its emergency response actions, has the potential for impact to operational performance, public relations/perception, and potential liabilities (both civil and regulatory).
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Prepare hazard-related documents; contract documents, scopes of work, permit applications, correspondence, reports, audits, assessments and corporate policy/procedures. Preparing requisitions, conducting invoice reviews and receipting for work accomplished.
- Perform field inspections and provide management and supervision of outside contractors engaged in hazard control activities on railroad property. Coordinate activities supporting hazard abatement projects (e.g., track, power, flagging) with appropriate departments.
- Provide communication and perform survey and assessment efforts for the railroad to achieve a State-of-Good-Repair. The position's efforts will be coordinated with the Engineering Department, Department of Program Management, ESA/SP, MTA Real Estate, and other involved entities.
- Perform inspections of LIRR facilities to determine potential hazards, protect employees, customers and the general public, and to achieve compliance with applicable regulations. When hazards are discovered, this position will design and prepare specifications for the correct, efficient and lawful remediation.
- Respond to all hazard emergencies and/or reactive response work (24-hr call) to represent the Railroad with respect to hazard control in the workplace.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of abatement and remediation regulations, current engineering practices and corporate hazard abatement policies. Provide regulatory interpretations to department personnel and senior management.
- Effectively manage and prioritize work schedule to assure required tasks are completed fully and on-time. Effectively utilize the personal computer and various software packages. Perform other tasks as required by Department Management to assure the success of the Corporate Safety Department Programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in the Sciences or a related field, and approximately five years of experience in asbestos, lead, and/or hazard abatement procedures or demonstrated equivalent experience and/or education.
- Ability to read and review blueprints and specifications, evaluate abatement techniques and communicate effectively with consultants, contractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge of asbestos and lead regulations (OSHA/PESH, EPA, NYS-DOH, etc.).
- Must possess computer experience with Word, Microsoft Access, and Excel.
- Must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to recognize and analyze problems.
- Availability to respond to emergencies at any location on an “on-call” basis.
- NYS DOL Asbestos Certification as Inspector, Management Planner, Air Sampling Technician, Project Monitor, Supervisor and Designer.
- Lead Based Paint Deleader Worker, Contractor/Supervisor, Inspector and Risk Assessor.
- SSPC-C3-Supervisor/Competent Person Deleading Industrial Structures.
- Knowledge and experience with Mold, PCB, or other workplace contaminate clean-ups.
- Knowledge of LIRR operations
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website at http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/ click on the Long Island Rail Road hyperlink agree to the Privacy and Policy and view job title Senior Manager-Safety Systems Analysis.
The MTA-Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer.