The Staff Accountant position will be responsible for providing the Controller with the necessary financial information to maintain and reconcile various financial/billing accounts and preparing monthly executive reports. Knowledge of Public Accounting, Inter-jurisdiction agreements/reconciliation, and Job/Contractual accounting practice is essential for you to be successful in this role. This position is a hands-on and rewarding accounting job, working with a diverse and talented team, that will challenge all of your accounting skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains monthly financial records and reports.
- Provides financial information for preparing special reports; completing special projects.
- Checks figures, postings and documents for correctness, mathematical accuracy and proper coding.
- Reconciles all bank accounts.
- Analyzes, reconciles and processes accounts payable ledgers; prepares fixed asset depreciation and accruals.
- Assists Human Resources in processing payroll.
- Maintains bonds, loans and other financial instrument information, tracking and processing.
- Bills other jurisdiction/agencies fees.
- Participates in organization’s training program.
- Shares information as requested about position and tasks with communications team and other departments as requested. As requested, participates in various outreach activities, such as career panels and guided tours.
- Understands and weaves our organizational sustainability objectives into daily work and decision making.
- Actively promotes safe behaviors and health awareness at all-times in the execution of daily tasks.
- Other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or higher level degree preferred; or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Three (3) years of accounting experience required. Preference given to public and/or utility experience.
- Understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Past experience with enterprise accounting systems necessary or understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Dynamics preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Strong math competency; must be analytical with strong problem solving skills.
- A good understanding of accounting principles.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of this job, typical of office work, include lifting up to 10 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.