The Lab Technician is responsible for conducting chemical, physical, and microbiological laboratory tests of solids and liquids for purposes such as quality control, maintenance of environmental standards, and other work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical application of chemistry and sciences following laboratory quality system. Work is performed individually and in a team environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitor process quality to ensure compliance with VPDES standards and plant performance specifications.
- Perform a variety of tests such as: microscopic examination, pH, alkalinity, hardness, conductivity, total solids, volatile acids, TSS, nitrogen, phosphorus, total Kjeldahl nitrogen, COD, BOD, dissolved oxygen, fecal coli form, E. coli, and chlorine residuals.
- In the performance of assigned tasks, use a variety of laboratory equipment such as microscope, analytical balances, colorimetric spectro-photometer, pH meter, DO meter, COD reactor, autoclave, incubator, muffle furnace, drying oven, digestion, titrating and filtering apparatus, and a variety of laboratory measuring glassware and pipetter.
- Work in conjunction with maintenance and operations to calibrate inline probes for measuring significant water quality characteristics according to prescribed schedule. Collect and report related data. Perform troubleshooting as needed.
- Provide and maintain a safe work environment by testing safety equipment such as showers, eyewash stations, and hoods, participating in safety programs, committees, or teams, and by conducting laboratory and plant safety audits.
- Prepares, reagents, solutions, dilutions, and apparatus necessary to perform analysis of water, wastewater, and sludge.
- Maintain, clean, and sterilize laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Compile and interpret results of tests and analyses. Write technical reports or prepare graphs and charts to document experimental results.
- Provide technical support and assistance to operators and engineers.
- Order and inventory materials to maintain supplies.
- Collect and analyze field samples.
- Provide input to laboratory’s quality systems and procedures.
- Analyze proficiency testing (PT) samples, and display proper analytical techniques to third party auditors in order to maintain laboratory certification.
- Analyze sample and provide guidance to process for changes.
- Support industrial pre-treatment program through collection of samples, inspection of facilities, review of records and other related tasks.
- Adhere to AlexRenew Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs; abide by the policies, procedures and rules set forth by the programs; actively participate in the programs to assist in providing a safe and healthy workplace for everyone.
- Required regular and reliable attendance
- Required to work on weekend on a rotating basis as scheduled.
- May be deemed essential at any time.
- Participates in communications training programs. Shares information as requested about position and tasks with communications team. As requested, participates in various outreach activities, such as career panels and guided tours.
- Understands and weaves our organizational sustainability objectives into daily work and decision making.
- Actively promotes safe behaviors and health awareness at all times in the execution of daily tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Five (5) years professional laboratory experience or combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or Environmental Science preferred. Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, and disposal methods.
- Knowledge of microorganisms, their functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Knowledge of laboratory instrumentation to include the range, use, repair, calibration, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of quality control, costs, requirements and the environmental impact of chemicals and supplies used in the laboratory.
- Knowledge of 5S practices as they relate to the laboratory environment
- Ability to conduct tests to evaluate quality and performance.
- Ability to monitor gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to manage one’s own time and respect the time of others.
- Ability to anticipate laboratory needs to ensure good quality control measures are met.
- Ability to pay attention to details as needed to complete measurements and analyses, enter data, etc.
- Ability to verify results of analyses, meet quality control requirements, and troubleshoot as needed.
- Ability to adapt to changes and incorporate them into daily routines.
- Knowledge of the MS Office Suite, LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System); and ideal candidates are detail-oriented, proactive, adaptable and highly efficient.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk and/or stand for eight hours a day. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 49 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the work is performed indoors in a climate controlled environment, with daily outdoor trips between buildings and for taking water samples required.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.