BWSR, a partnership between BWXT and CB&I, is the Decontamination and Decommissioning (D&D) subcontractor at the Bettis Laboratory. BWSR performs remediation of legacy nuclear and environmental materials on site. The main project areas at the site include remediation of historical research facilities, demolition of buildings, and characterization of site infrastructure to support on-going maintenance and construction.
This position reports to the Site's Environmental, Safety and Health Manager. This is a professional level health and safety position providing direct support and oversight of BWSR, LLC (BWSR) remediation projects.
The Certified Industrial Hygienist is responsible to:
- Anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and control chemical substances, physical agents, and biological hazards. Make recommendations to maintain a safe and healthful work environment.
- Provide subject matter expertise in Industrial Hygiene to Project Managers and/or Superintendents.
- Perform field safety measurements and safety evaluations as needed.
- Survey, sample, compile and analyze data relating to industrial hygiene, occupational and environmental health issues such as chemical exposure, smoke, fumes, noise, temperature, dusts, vapors, mists, gasses, solvents, and lighting that are known or suspected of being real or potential detriments to health.
- Develop workplace hazards and industrial hygiene assessments.
- Review plans, procedures, and assist in design specifications to ensure implementation of approved industrial hygiene practices.
- Investigate overexposure, accidents and deviations from approved industrial hygiene practices and assists in the implementation of corrective actions.
- Provide input to hazardous material communications.
- Monitor compliance with applicable OSHA standards, local regulations and site requirements.
- Develop and facilitate health and safety training as required.