Under the supervision of the Environmental Services Manager, the Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent is responsible for planning, directing, managing, supervising and overseeing the operations of the water production and wastewater treatment systems as well as ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. This position also assists in development and monitoring of related operational and capital improvement budgets. This employee should possess excellent supervisory, mechanical, communication, organizational, and public relation skills. Work is performed with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and action to achieve and promote the Public Works Department values of integrity, community focus, accountability, respect and employee focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position, with some exposure to all types of weather conditions during field supervisory activities. Some exposure to wastewater and blood-borne pathogens, chemicals, mechanical equipment, excessive noise, and hazardous and explosive gases typical of water and wastewater treatment systems can also be expected.
- Performs highly responsible, technical, supervisory, and managerial work directing the overall operation of the City's water pumping systems, water storage towers, water booster stations, water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant, biosolids handling operations and wastewater collection system lift stations;
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations and departmental policies and procedures in the operation and maintenance of water production and wastewater treatment facilities;
- Perform highly responsible, technical, and supervisory work including the ability to troubleshoot water and wastewater operations;
- Manage the development and implementation of objectives, policies, and procedures;
- Develop and oversee an annual business plan and budget;
- Analyze operating results with personnel, recommend and take corrective actions as required;
- Evaluate, recommend and implement process changes, new treatment processes and capital investments to ensure regulatory compliance and operational efficiency of water production and wastewater treatment facilities;
- Coordinate operations, maintenance, laboratory activities and engineering/construction activities as necessary to ensure regulatory compliance and operational efficiency of water production and wastewater treatment facilities;
- Coach/lead, motivate, develop, and evaluate assigned personnel;
- Ensure all customer service requests are resolved; respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner, resolve complaints in an effective and timely manner.
- Represent Water Production and Wastewater Treatment with regulatory agencies, internal and external customers and stakeholders, and water production and wastewater treatment personnel;
- Ensure efficient and effective after-hours response to Water Production and Wastewater Treatment problems;
- Perform all other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.