Located along the Ohio River on Pittsburgh’s Northside, the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority provides wastewater treatment services to 83 communities including the City of Pittsburgh. ALCOSAN’s 59-acre treatment plant is one of the largest wastewater treatment facilities in the Ohio River, processing up to 250 million gallons of wastewater daily. ALCOSAN has the following job opportunities available:
Sampling & Compliance Supervisor
Supervises industrial compliance with Authority regulations, the Fats, Oil and Grease (FOG) Program. The high-strength surcharge program, and coordinates internal and industrial sampling activities. Serves as department manager in the absence of the Manager of Industrial Wastes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs electronic transfers of sampling laboratory data, evaluates laboratory data, reports, plans, applications, and other material submitted by industrial customers for compliance with various regulations and the ALCOSAN Pretreatment Program. Makes enforcement recommendations to the Manager of Industrial Wastes, and participates with Manager and Director of Environmental Compliance in industrial enforcement negotiations.
- Organizes, assigns, and supervises the activities of the department's Sampler/Investigators, including sampling in the treatment plant, industrial sampling and inspection, and investigation of sewer incidents. Coordinates Authority resources with regulatory agencies and communities where joint investigations are requested. Provides on-site supervision of Sampler/Investigators during spill or sewer incident investigations.
- Monitors compliance activities of industries under enforcement orders. Serves as primary point of contact with industry to ensure scheduled activities are completed.
- Drafts Industrial Discharge Permits based upon knowledge and review of regulations, industrial processes, and compliance history for review and issuance by the Manager. Serves as primary point of contact to answer customer questions about Pretreatment requirements, FOG Program and the High Strength Surcharge Program.
- Assigns sampling, evaluates data, and authorizes application of surcharges to non-domestic customer accounts according to the Authority's High Strength Surcharge Program.
- Generates incident reports, assigns teams, evaluates data, generates violation letter, reviews inspection reports and maintains GPS tracking of users according to the Authority’s FOG Program.
- Assumes duties of the Manager of Industrial Wastes in the Manager's absence. Assists Manager with technical training and certification of field personnel.
- Supervises sampling and clerical staff.