Education & Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills is required. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Equivalent to a high school diploma; coursework in water utility science as required for the Water distribution certification; and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in water operations, maintenance and repair work; at least one (1) of which must have been in a supervisory or lead capacity.
License and/or Certificates:
Must possess and maintain the following:
- An appropriate, valid California driver's license;
- State Water Resource Control Board Water Treatment Plant Operator License, Grade 2;
- State Water Resource Control Board Water Distribution Operator License, Grade 5; and
- Cross-Connection Control Specialist Certificate.
Grade 5 Distribution Certification is required to be designated as Chief Operator in the absence of the Water Operations Superintendent.
Should the City's designation level as a Treatment or Distribution facility change, incumbents will be expected to attain the appropriate designation within 12 months of the notification by the State of California.
Possession of a Water Utility Science Certificate is highly desirable.
In addition to the minimum qualification, the ideal candidate will have:
- Basic supervisory/leadership skills;
- Computer skills for automated assignments including work plans and daily assignments;
- Knowledge of Monitors Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) software;
- Good customer service skills to resolve complaints/issues;
- Good communications skills both orally and in writing;
- Water Utility Science Certification Desirable; and
- The availability to work after hours, holidays, and nights when needed.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. This recruitment is scheduled to close on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. Should a sufficient number of applications be received by 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, December 27, 2016, the recruitment may close at that time. If a sufficient number of qualified applications are not received, the recruitment will remain open until 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.