Provides direct safety support for all Massport construction projects. Assists in the development and implementation of Occupational Health and Safety Programs intended to ensure that all Massport facilities comply with federal and state occupational safety and health regulations. Provides safety training and support as needed to reduce Massport employees' exposure to injuries. Provides overall occupational safety support to all Massport locations and construction sites.
Essential Tasks of the Job:
Assists in developing programs in response to new safety regulations or initiatives.
1. Confined Space Program. 5. Hazard Communication Program.2. Lockout/Tagout Program. 6. Personal Protective Equipment Program.3. Respiratory Protection Program. 7. Fall Protection Program.4. Hearing Conservation Program. 8. Bloodborne Pathogens Program.
Performs Ergonomic Assessments for Massport employees as requested.
1. Makes recommendations on equipment and work environment in order to eliminate or alleviate employee discomfort.2. Maintains files on assessments performed and action taken.3. Coordinates ergonomic activities with area managers and supervisors to explain issues and actions related to assessments.
Ensures that Massport construction projects are in compliance with applicable Massport, state and federal occupational safety and health regulations.
1. Assists with Authority's asbestos, lead and industrial hygiene program. 2. Performs site inspections and audits to assure compliance with safety regulations.3. Implements programs and training intended to bring Massport into compliance with OSHA Regulations.4. Performs site inspections as necessary, and identifies safety and security violations and makes recommendations for correcting discrepancies and possibly changing work procedures or behaviors.5. Conducts pre-construction and pre-bid safety briefings for contractors.6. Participates in meetings and represents the Safety Manager as directed.7. Represents the Safety Unit with project managers in assigned construction projects.8. Identifies safety training requirements and participates in scheduling, developing, and delivering safety-training sessions.9. Advises the Safety Manager of the status of various safety programs as necessary.
Coordinates activities of Massport Safety Committees.
1. Monitor committee activities and provide committee with topical information.2. Prior to each committee meeting, reviews minutes from previous meeting and identify issues requiring contractor or Safety Unit action. 3. Provides necessary follow-up on identified safety matters to ensure corrective action is completed.4. Coordinates scheduling of speakers for presentations to committee.
Performs miscellaneous duties related to the Safety Program.
1. Reviews required contractor submittals, such as, confined space entry plans, demolition plans, site-specific safety plans and accident investigations to accept or reject submittals.2. Stores, maintains, operates and calibrates Massport electronic safety analysis equipment.3. Participates in the development of safety rules and operational standards.4. Participates in the planning and execution of the annual Massport Safety Fair.5. Performs Indoor Air Quality assessments as requested.6. Performs safety orientations for new Massport employees.7. Maintains detailed inventory of safety supplies.8. Administers Respiratory Protection Program. Initiates medical review questionnaires and track information.
Provides field and technical support to environmental management staff.
1. Performs inspections of underground storage tank inventory/alarm systems.2. Assists with compliance/pollution prevention inspections of Massport and tenant facilities.3. Performs stormwater inspections at Massport facilities, construction projects and tenant operations/construction sites.4. Assists with Authority-wide recycling program.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in industrial hygiene, public health and safety, occupational safety, or related technical field or equivalent professional experience required.
EXPERIENCE: 4-6 years' experience in developing, administering and implementing a comprehensive safety program required. Training experience in identification and evaluation of safety hazards preferred. Sound knowledge of construction practices, construction sites and construction compliance issues required.
1. Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional or Associate Safety Profession preferred.2. Working knowledge of relevant Massachusetts and federal laws, regulations and codes.3. Knowledge of OSHA safety regulations.4. Knowledge of Massachusetts and federal environmental regulations and permit requirements.5. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills; and strong interpersonal skills.6. Current and valid driver's license unrestricted except for corrective lenses.7. Ability to pass airfield driving test and obtain an Aerodrome Ramp and Apron License.8. Ability to pass Massport security clearance and obtain a Massport security badge.9. Ability to complete relevant training.10. Ability to pass a Massport controlled substances test and security background checks.